Thursday, November 14, 2013

RSS FEED - BLOG POST #1:

BLOG POST #1 - Week 4


“8 Tips to Power-Up Your Classroom Presentations”


Too often, I find myself so caught up in the content that I am trying to teach, that I forget about whether or not my students are truly focused on the presentation.  This blog was great because it reminded me of quite a few things that I could do to further enhance the presentations that I use in class.  I hate to say it, but I have definitely fallen into the “VERBOSITY” trap.  “The goal of a classroom presentation is to aid you in effectively conveying information in a way that allows students (or their parents) to remember what you said” (Cranford-Teague, 2013).  This was a pretty cool blog.  I plan to use some of the ideas presented here to aide in my future presentations.

Below are the 8 tips listed in Jason Cranford-Teague’s Blog post:

1. “Use as Many Slides as You Need”
2. “Minimize Verbosity” – (Use Fewer Words!)
3. “Maximize Visuals” – (Visuals are Memory Triggers!)
4. “Reduce Noise” – (Eliminate Unneeded Distractions from Presentation!)
5. “Go BIG” – (Larger Images and Text Enhance Memory!)
6. “Highlight What You Are Talking About” - (Use REVEAL OPTION to keep students focused on presentation)
7. “Transition Changes” - (Choose a good one!)
8. “Repeat Yourself Redundantly”
Bonus Tip: “Make it Funny!”

Reference:

Cranford-Teague, Jason. “8 Tips to Power-Up Your Classroom Presentations.”
Edutopia. Gannet Digital. 12 Nov 2013. Web. 12 Nov 2013.





2 comments:

  1. Phillips, not only can those 8 tips to power up presentation be use in the classroom but it can be use anytime that you need to do a presentation. Those tips are helpful for everybody who needs to do a presentation. I know that I will be using these tips the next time that I have a presentation to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This does bring a good point about being able to present the material to your students in a way that they are able to better understand it. Just because you may create something that may be filled with content, it still may not be beneficial for the students to learn the material. I also think those tips presented are very beneficial not only in the classroom but throughout every day life and can be showed and presented to the students so they also know what to expect in the real world.

    ReplyDelete