Thursday, November 14, 2013

ASSIGNED READING - BLOG POST #2:

BLOG POST #2 – Week 4

Chapter 5 in Collins / Halverson

I found these readings to be pretty interesting this week.  Chapter 5 really took me back.  I found myself thinking about my own personal history of education with regards to technology.  When I think about the past compared to where I am at now, I am light years ahead of where I started.  Just to give you an idea of the type of technological education that I received in high school; in my first year of college, I was fascinated to learn about what search engines did.  I barely even knew what the internet was, or what it was used for.

Obviously, the modern high school aged student is much further along than I was when I started.  However, the sad thing is that when I look at the amount of technology that my students are exposed to on a daily basis at school, it is not that far from how much I received.  Of course, for the most part, they are learning much more based on the amount of technology they own.

For the most part, the vast array of technology available to the modern student is definitely a positive thing, with regards to education.  The students just need direction to ensure that they are using that technology to their benefit academically.

Refernece:

Collins, A. & Halveson, R. (2009). Rethinking education in the age of technology: The digital revolution and schooling in America. New York: Teachers College Press.
           
+T




No comments:

Post a Comment