Saturday, November 2, 2013

Reaction to Chapters 2 and 3: Weblogs, Pedagogy, Practice, and Getting Started


BLOG POST #2:

Reaction to Chapters 2 and 3: Weblogs, Pedagogy, Practice, and Getting Started

Currently, I have been toying around with the idea of setting up a blog in my classroom.  Upon completion of the assigned reading for the week, I have become more confident that a classroom blog could help in many ways.  It could help with both student-to-student communication and collaboration of ideas and could serve as a means of student-to-teacher communication, in terms of a formative assessment tool.  I could imagine students asking questions from home while working out the brainstorming phase and beginning stages of a new project. 
A classroom blog could also serve as a great parent-to-teacher communication tool as well.  A blog can keep the parents updated on current and upcoming projects, any homework the students have, and any issues that may be arising in the classroom as well.

I also like the idea of posting daily questions for the students to think about while constructing their artwork.  This strategy could definitely help my students to stay on track with project requirements and ultimately help them to be more successful on their finished product.

“Weblogs are truly a constructivist tool for learning” (Richardson, 2010).  Meaning, as the year progresses, we could use this tool to build on prior knowledge to enhance future knowledge.

“Noone knows what blogs may look like in five to ten years, but I can tell you that no matter what, their impact and influence on education will be felt” (Richardson, 2010).


Reference: 

Richardson, W. (2010) Blogs, wikis, podcasts, and other powerful web tools for classrooms. Thousand Oaks, California: Corwin

1 comment:

  1. I am also considering weblogs for my 5th grade students. I love the idea of creating a year long portfolio of work, writing, ideas, and reflections that will show growth and develop in my students as the year progresses. I also think it will motivate my 'reluctant' learners to share and interact with their peers in a format that is more engaging. I believe parents will love the opportunity to interact with their child, and view their work online. What grade are you considering a blog for, and will it be a whole class blog or individual blogs for each student?

    ReplyDelete